What’s on the Rise for Erectile Dysfunction Drugs

viagra effects of EDThe effects of erectile dysfunction (ED) drugs are not the only thing on the rise. Prices for drugs like Viagra and Cialis have grown exponentially over the years. In fact, since Viagra’s creation back in 1998 the price per pill has increased by 150%. How can this be, you ask? How can an industry blatantly make a product more and more unaffordable, yet thrive in this society? Let’s first dig in to the logistics behind the pompous inflation.

Viagra Was The First Medication Of Its Kind

Viagra was the first medication of its kind and had the benefit of setting the standard of what would be “normal” price growth. When Viagra was first released in March of 1998, the cost per pill was $7. As of January 2011, the cost per pill is $17.45. Since its inception, Viagra has increased the price per pill at an average of 9% each time, and sorry folks, that’s happening more than once a year. Viagra’s manufacturer, Pfizer, has been able to create their own morning glory in terms of price gauging, and it looks like their competitors have noticed and are taking the same path towards their own climactic peak.

Cialis, Getting Pricy

Cialis was released in November of 2003, and since then has increased their prices by 130%. Cialis’ manufacturer, Lilly, began selling their pill at $8.10 per pill and is now selling each tablet at $18.93. The percentage of each Cialis price increase seems to be right in line with the increase in price for Viagra, just at a faster rate. And as consumers, we all know that getting things up faster does not mean it’s getting done right.

Viagra: Patenting Their Product

So, how have these drugs been able to extend their prices and thrive? Well, for one thing Viagra has had a patent in place, which is set to expire in March of 2012. When that happens, other companies will have the opportunity to create their own generic versions of the drug which is why Pfizer and Lilly have upped the momentum to make as much money as they can now before that day comes. Considering that Viagra and Cialis make up for 90% of all ED sales (Levitra makes up the remaining 10%), there is no near end in sight for this rocketing prices because the demand is there.

50% of All Men Over The Age of 40 Suffer From ED

With approximately half of all men over the age of 40 suffering from ED, Viagra, Cialis, and Levitra are working in prime medical real estate. The manufacturers know that there are no legal and safe alternative options, so they have the numbers to keep their menagerie alive. Is this right? No. However, with no affordable alternatives these companies are going to keep stroking our wallets for more cash. That is, until the protective fences of the patent come down and all the new soldiers (other pharmaceutical companies) are allowed to play. When that day happens, we consumers need to welcome them with a full salute because they have the ability to keep the supply up while simultaneously dropping the prices down. And that, my friends, would be the ultimate way to keep our needs, and what’s in our wallets, on the rise.